Thursday, March 26, 2009

And the book deals keep coming! Interview with Angie Frazier

Angie Frazier’s book Everlasting has it all—sailing voyages, treasure maps, forbidden love, immortal stones, bushrangers! What more could you want? After reading the teaser, I pictured Angie as an avid sailor, but when I contacted her about this interview she admitted that she's not much of a sea goer. "In fact, I am extremely jealous of anyone who can get out on the open ocean without becoming paralyzed with sea sickness," Angie admits. "I definitely did not ‘write what I knew' and had to do lots of research!”

Whatever Angie is doing, it’s working; in addition to getting a two-book deal from Scholastic for Everlasting, she’s just announced on LiveJournal that she got a SECOND two-book deal for a middle grade series with Scholastic for publication in 2011! WOW!

Okay, because this is an interview for authors debuting in 2010, let’s stick to Everlasting. Here’s Angie’s deal report from Publisher’s Marketplace:

Angie Frazier’s EVERLASTING, a romantic, high-seas adventure pitched as A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY meets THE LUXE, to Jennifer Rees at Scholastic at auction, in a two-book deal, by Ted Malawer at Firebrand Literary.

So, Angie, can you please tell us how you met your agent?
I was pleasantly confused when I queried Nadia Cornier at Firebrand and received a reply from someone named Ted. No last name, no information about who he was. He just said he really wanted to read my manuscript, so of course I sent it off to him! Only later did I realize he was Ted Malawer, a new agent there and that he was building his list of clients. I was thrilled when he offered to represent me. He is amazing to work with, and I really don’t know what I’d do without him.

How did your (first!) book deal come together?
After about six months of revisions with Ted, we finally sent the manuscript out to editors on a Friday. I was floored when we had reports of interest by Monday morning. Everything happened very fast from there. After years of trying to catch an editor’s eye through queries and one-on-one critiques I was in total disbelief that I was having phone conversations with a number of editors who all loved my novel and wanted to offer on it. It was surreal! The book went to auction, which was an amazing experience for a first-time author.

What was the inspiration for Everlasting and how long did it take you to write?
The first place my husband and I lived was a small caretaker’s cottage on the property of this huge mansion in Dublin, New Hampshire. The ceilings were plastered in old travel posters from the 1920s and 1930s, and many of them were for places in Australia. I decided I wanted to write a story set in Australia. That’s how all my books seem to begin—with a setting, a place. The story and characters built themselves from there, though it did take me 7 long years to figure out the right plot! Once I had that revelation, it only took a few months to complete.

What's your publication date and where in the process are you now?
Right now, Everlasting is slated for June 2010! I have great visions of teenagers laying out by the pool or on the beach in their bathing suits, catching rays and reading all about Camille and Oscar’s hot romance! As for where I am in the process, not much has happened since the deal back in March of 2008. My fabulous editor is just about to start in on her summer 2010 list and I think I should be seeing a revision letter soon. She’s promised light revisions (crossing fingers!).

If you could spend the day with one of the characters from your book, who would it be and why?
If I ever stepped into my book’s world, I would be very tempted to spend the day with Oscar Kildare, the hunky hero. However, being the reasonable gal I am, and knowing he’s already in total love with my protagonist, Camille, I would opt for some time with Ira Beam, the Australian card shark who guides Oscar and Camille to the legendary stone of the immortals. He’s adorable and a riot, and I would love to be his sidekick for a day.

What are you working on now?
I’m working on a few different projects, including some agent-directed revisions on Everlasting's sequel, due out in summer 2011. I’ve also started work on a new YA dark fantasy loosely based on the Huntsman from the tale of Snow White. And I’m also in the final stages of selling a middle grade historical mystery set in a grand hotel in New Brunswick, Canada.

Do you have any words of wisdom for writers trying to get published?
It is a piece of advice that has been said time and again: Don’t ever give up. If you truly believe your manuscript is ready for an agent or editor, keep sending it out. You almost need to have a delusional optimistic outlook on the whole process. Rejection hurts, but each rejection is a step closer. Just don’t give up.

Thanks Angie! And congratulations on your huge success. Can't wait to read Everlasting!

Angie is all over the web. I recommend going straight to her LiveJournal blog to read about her second round of book deals. You can also check out her website, and to hear about third, fourth, and fifth round of books deals (surely imminent) keep up with Angie on Twitter and Facebook!

15 comments:

Little Ms J said...

Love your interviews! They always leave me feeling motivated!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even think it was possible to get a second two-book deal while the first two-book deal was still in play! Angie must be incredibly talented--and incredibly tired! That's a lot of writing! Great interview, as always.

cdg

Christy Raedeke said...

Thanks Miss J!

And C, I should have asked Angie what her writing schedule is like. Can you believe she can crank out all that work?

Angie--If you read these comments, please let us know how many hours a day you write!

Angie Frazier said...

Hi! Thanks so much for such a nice intro! And as for my writing schedule...my days are for the most part monopolized by my 3 yr. old and 5 yr. old daughters, so after bedtime is "my time." I generally write for a few hours each night, and sometimes on the weekend when I can grab some time alone!

Suzanne Young said...

Congrats on the deal(s), Angie! I love your interview!!!!

Christy, you continue to be the Maury Povich of the blogosphere. Great job!

Carrie Harris said...

I adore these interviews. It's just the kind of thing I needed today to keep my motivation up. Thanks!

Sydney Lakewood said...

Great interview, guys!

I love the image of you living in that caretaker's cottage. That may inspire a character's background in one of MY books. Thank you, m'dear!

-Random Susan

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

yay angie - wow thats like 6 books coming out in 2-3 years.

rock on

Anonymous said...

That sounds like my kind of book. I just can't wait to read it. I think I will change my favorite reading genre to YA, and skip the A. Fiction I have been with lately. These books all sound fascinating. Thanks for another great interview, Christy.
CAM

Anonymous said...

nice ang!!!!

Anonymous said...

that was from me...sarah w.

Cuppa Jolie said...

Great interview, Christy.

And huge congrats to, Angie! Wow girl. Whoo-eeee!

PurpleClover said...

I must say that the fact you had to do the research because it was not a favorite pasttime of yours gives me hope that I *JUST MIGHT* be able to get away with writing about Physics when I've never had so much as a class on the subject. lol.

Physics Schmisics! Right?

Great Interview! LOVE it!

Rebecca Herman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Herman said...

I can't wait to read this book. I love young adult historical fiction. Next June seems so far away!