Thursday, May 20, 2010

High School Flashback - Author Christina Diaz Gonzales

So it’s the last day of the High School Flashback Tour, where five authors expose their teen photos and where five people will win five loads of bookstuff! Just leave a comment and you’ll be entered.

Today we’re flashing back to Christina Diaz Gonzales, author of The Red Umbrella. I’m reading it right now and it’s riveting—a fascinating look at a really frightening time in history.

A less frightening time in history is Christina's high school years. Look at this flashback picture! Where's the shame and humiliation? I would have sold my teen soul AND thrown in all my Journey albums to have looked like this is in high school!


Now for a few flashback questions. Christina, what clique(s) were you part of in high school? I floated among several group but my main group was the Majorettes/Dance Squad kids.

Please describe one outfit you absolutely LOVED but now that you look back on you cringe. I loved wearing double shirts and blouses with HUGE shoulder pads...I shudder thinking about it.

If you could give your teen self one piece of advice, what would it be? Be yourself and don't worry so much about fitting in.

Thanks Christina! For a more in-depth discussion with Christina about her publishing journey, please see my previous interview. And here's her gorgeous book:


In 1961, two years after the Communist revolution, Lucía Álvarez still leads a carefree life, dreaming of parties and her first crush. But when the soldiers come to her sleepy Cuban town, everything begins to change. Freedoms are stripped away.  Neighbors disappear. Her friends feel like strangers. And her family is being watched.

As the revolution's impact becomes more oppressive, Lucía's parents make the heart-wrenching decision to send her and her little brother to the United States —on their own.

Suddenly plunked down in Nebraska with well-meaning strangers, Lucía struggles to adapt to a new country, a new language, a new way of life.  But what of her old life? Will she ever see her home or her parents again? And if she does, will she still be the same girl?

Christina Diaz Gonzalez was born in a small Southern town, but moved to the big city of Miami when she was in high school. In high school she was a Majorette and had the silly nickname of Moose (the football coach gave it to her because she was small and the exact opposite of what people thought someone named Moose should look like). You can read more about Christina on her website www.christinagonzalez.com

Leave a comment here to be entered in the drawing for the load of good stuff. Plus, you can enter on all five blogs! Today I’m over on Jen’s blog with my Prom 1984 photos. Pale skin, dye-to-match shoes, and acres of poly taffeta = a night to remember.

12 comments:

Trina Blake said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Plus that high school photo! Wow!

Rin said...

Wow, she looks like a total rock star in that photo! Lovely advice too. While fitting in might be an important issue for teenagers, the best thing is just to be yourself. :)

Jessica said...

Love the picture! I always wanted to do that in high school.

Jessica~

Anonymous said...

I was on dance team in high school too! However, we did not wear costumes like that! Cute picture though!

donnas said...

Great advice. And very sparkly picture. Looks like it was fun though.

Amy Brecount White said...

Hey, Christy. Maybe I'm being dense, but can't find your contact info on site. Can you email me at amywords@verizon.net.

You're next in line for arc of Hush, Hush, if you haven't read & I have another Q for you. Thanks! Amy

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Oh shoulder pads...for a little while there I thought they might come back. I have seen many blouses with obscenely large shoulder pads lately.

Ale said...

The book sound very interesting. She looks great in that picture.

Andria said...

Yeah, I'm not sure it was fair of her to put that hs picture up. She was way too cute! This book looks great! I can't wait to read it!

Jennie Englund said...

I've been looking forward to reading UMBRELLA forever. I'm all over the Communist Revolution, and this take seems incredible!

Llehn said...

Oooooo ... that cheerleader uniform is so sparkly!

lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

Samantha LeAnne said...

SPARKLY! Sparkles, fringe, and knee high white boots...I kinda love it!