Friday, November 21, 2008

What's Your Type? Myers-Briggs For Your Blog!

Oh, fellow bloggers, have I got a treat for you! Today the lovely Anna Vollers (she of best custom-blog-header-art ever) has a link to a Myers Briggs personality test for your BLOG!

While others turned to the fashion or relationship sections of Cosmo and Seventeen, I always went straight for the horoscope and “Are you a __or an__?” quiz. I’m an eternal qizzer, looking for that one test that will, at last, explain who I am. Myers-Briggs is as close as it gets.

Okay, here’s the weird part: My blog is the OPPOSITE of my self. Ready for this? My blog is an ESFP - The Performer! My husband and oldest friends Julie and Davis will no doubt do a spit-take while reading this; I am so terrified of performing that’s it’s difficult for me to even watch theater productions. I make Julie read my writing at our critique group because even just reading aloud feels like performing. Seriously, I had to pop beta blockers at the Big Sur Writers Conference just to be able to read my stuff. (PS – They work great!)

In real life I’m a devoted, dedicated, card-carrying INTP: “Analytical individuals who don't mind spending long periods of time on their own, working through problems and forming solutions. They are very curious about systems and how things work. INTPs tend to be less at ease in social situations and the "caring professions." They also tend to be impatient with the bureaucracy, rigid hierarchies, and politics prevalent in many professions. INTPs can demonstrate remarkable skill in explaining complex ideas to others in simple terms, especially in writing. Their extroverted intuition often gives them a quick wit, especially with language, and they can defuse the tension in gatherings by comical observations and references.”

Anyone who knows me well will agree most heartily with this morsel: INTP’s are “less at ease in social situations and the ‘caring professions’.” (Recently I mentioned to an old friend that if fiction writing doesn’t work out I might think about becoming a nurse; she burst out laughing and said, “You would be the worst nurse ever! You loathe the ‘public’ and you’re not all that nurturing.” Ouch. Only a friend could through the crap like that. Though I still think I’d be a good nurse if I had a specialty position that allowed me access to gross things but not much human interaction, like Nurse of Boil Lancing Only or some such…)

Another cool thing about typelyzer.com is that it shows you a picture of what part of your brain you’re using when you are blogging. Interesting to see that what I write about my life uses the exact opposite part of my brain that I use when I actually LIVE my life, which probably makes me a pathological liar.

Anyone else an INTP in real life and an ESFP In blog life?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a senior in high school (20 years ago), I was an EFNP. It would be interesting to see if that has changed.

You ARE an ITNP in real life! LOVED the way Julie read your work Wednesday night with that Sco'ish accent! Aye...

And those Beta Blockers did wonders for you at Big Sur--they landed you the most awesome agent on the face of the planet!!!

Carrie Harris said...

I'll have to take the test later for me and my blog, but in the meantime I couldn't resist: BRAAAAINS!

Disco Mermaids said...

CR...another reason I love you so much. I'm a Myers-Briggs freak!

Back in the day I was an ENFJ. Just retook the test and guess what! Still an ENFJ.

So strange how we don't change as we grow. Although, I'd love to see how our blog tests. How do they test your blog? I'll have to check it out.

I think you are a performer at heart...you certainly entertain ME. And, OMG, you are totally nurturing! At least to me you are. I think you've got yourself summed up all wrong. Either that, or I'm a really bad psychoanalyst.

Eve

Anna Claire said...

Aww thanks for the blog love ;)

I first saw the test over at Shrinking Violet Promotions Blog : http://shrinkingvioletpromotions.blogspot.com/2008/11/myers-briggs-test-for-your-blog.html

The funny thing is, most of the people over there had blogs that scored completely different from what they were! Not sure what that says about all of us introverted bloggers with extroverted blogs...

Kelly Hudgins said...

Too funny, as I am also a card-carrying INFP. During my administrative days I tested INFX a couple of times, but now that I'm out of an office setting my P is soooooo back.

I can't wait to play with this more.

Christy Raedeke said...

Eve, your Mermaids blog is an ISTP, or "The Mechanic" described as:
The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts.

The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.

So interesting to see what a grpup blog does to the score - our critique group's blog types out as ISFP, "The Artist"

PS - Thank you for thinking I am entertaining and nurturing!

Cathy Gersich said...

INFJ for life in all ways.