Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Be Safe!

Who in their right mind would let Michelle Obama make her first appearance to the world as First Lady elect in a black dress with a red hourglass shape on the front? There is only one species in the world with that marking and I'm not even going to write it down here for fear of the worst. The absolute worst.

I have been a serious student of Traditional Chinese Feng Shui under Dr. Shan Tung Hsu for more than 12 years now and have learned so much about how symbols (information) manifest action (energy). Malcom Gladwell talks about it in Blink; in a state of rapid cognition your brain makes associations you have no control over in the first two seconds of seeing something. Whether you realize it or not or believe it or not, in those first seconds of seeing Michelle Obama last night your brain probably made the association between her dress and the name of that spider.

Whether it's Gladwell's description of "rapid cognition" or it's the feng shui principal of energy manifesting on the information level first, this was an extremely dangerous choice for her first impression as First Lady elect.

May the world keep them safe.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. Wow. Not sure what to say about this except how id I miss that one? CDG

Katie Anderson said...

I love Feng Shui! I wish you lived closer. arrgghh.

BUT I did NOT think of that spider. But instead thought she looked pregnant! It was quite unflattering, didn't you think?

Disco Mermaids said...

What spider?? I totally don't get it.

Mos def it's kind of a freaky looking dress. But I'm all for dressing in unique attire. And she's cute, so she can pull it off.

What's the spider? You must tell me!

Eve

Hardygirl said...

I'm with Katie. I thought she looked like some kind of pregnant superhero.

Anonymous said...

http://www.wvbugman.com/images/blackwidow.JPG

Anonymous said...

I came across you blog after googling about the symbolism of Michelle's dress. Only the fashion press and conspiracy press are printing anything about this - from the number of hits on the internet about it, obviously a lot of people noticed but seems like its taboo to write about in mainstream press. As someone who works in marketing, this is not how I would want to "brand" the first lady.

Anna Claire said...

The spider didn't occur to me either, but the first thing I did think was, 'what an unflattering dress!' And normally she looks so insanely gorgeous and has such fabulous style. Probably not the best choice for the occasion, but then the women have it so much harder than the men...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I spent most of my time pondering about the color rather than the dress eg would wearing red make them any friends or really rather just piss off more republicans....