Thursday, October 23, 2008

Rantings of a Registered Independent

Over the past few weeks I’ve sensed this mounting irritability, a deep-rooted feeling of being unsettled. There’s angst, a bit of woe, and a good amount of fear. It’s getting worse as we get closer.


Do you feel it?


McCain’s latest trick, the “Joe the Plumber Tour” that he’s kicked off in Florida has hit a new low in Gimmick Campaigning. Joe isn’t a plumber, and in fact, Joe is working with neither a plumbing nor a plumbing apprentice license. Joe hasn’t paid some back taxes. Joe, as seen on interviews, is kind of a jackass. But all of a sudden it matters that if he buys the plumbing business he will pay 3% more taxes on anything over $250,000? Cry me a river Joe. And this, it seems, is all McCain can think to talk about.


Where is the Joe the Teacher tour?


Never has it been more important to think. Never has it been more important to vote.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Independents, Republicans, Democrats, everyone is saying they're ready for this thing to be over. No one even WANTS to vote.

Sad.

My ballot's for Joe the Teacher 2012!

Kelly Hudgins said...

I'm so wound up I can't even blog.

I am, however, voting. Voting with abandon, even though my state's electoral votes will go for McCain. Voice in the wilderness, and all that.

The Dallas ISD, about 60 miles to the south, just laid off many many teachers due to an "accounting error" of several million dollars...like 64M. The superintendent, in a show of solidarity, to a 5% cut in his 300K salary.

And what continues to amaze me is that so many of these teachers, wounded by the very policies of the Bush admin., are going to fervently vote for more of the same.

This is why I'm having wine with my lunch.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Check this out --

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cc65ed650d

Barb

Anonymous said...

I'm a registered Idepenedent who has voted republican in the last three elections (don't hate me!). I think I finally learned my lesson. Palin put me over the edge. cdg

Hardygirl said...

I'm ready for this thing to be over, too. Enough. The television ads for our state senators and congressmen have reached a new low here in Mississippi. I used to think the "homespun" quality of the ads was kind of campy and funny--now, I just think they're dumb. And, I'm talking both sides here.

Anyway, I'm ready to talk about something else. Really ready. Oh, and I just did--I'm just catching up on my blog reading, and I weighed in on your cool writer brain post below.

sf