Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My First (of many?) Embarrassing Moment In Publishing…

So I get this email from my new editor:

To: Christy Raedeke
Subject: Don't worry . .

I am going to get you notes, etc. on PoD. Brian and I have talked about it and he’s excited about the premise. I think he’ll be even more excited once he gets into the text.

More soon,
AK

I read it and think, what the hell is PoD? I Google the acronym for an hour, in various configurations with words like "edit" and "manuscript" trying to get hip to the whole publishing slang. Can’t find much, so I assume his edits are so big that he’s binding them into a Print On Demand (PoD) book. Realizing I should go ahead and clarify rather than assume anything, I email back:

To: Editor AK
Subject: RE: Don't worry . . .

Print on demand? Payable on death? I’m so sorry I don’t know what PoD means.

Cheers,
Christy

To which he replies:

To: Christy Raedeke
Subject: Don't worry . .

PoD = “Prophecy of Days.” You’re officially working with a publishing house. All books get acronyms.

AK
----

Oh, that. Yes, of course. My book’s title.
It honestly never occurred to me. Doh!

4 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Aahhh - that is so funny. I would have done the same thing!

Anna Claire said...

Too, too funny. I'm sure there are lots more acronyms with which they'll acquaint you before the process is finished!

Anna Claire said...

Too, too funny. I'm sure there are lots more acronyms with which they'll acquaint you before the process is finished!

Anonymous said...

Possible Obsessing Derangedly? You are so funny. I love this story.

M