Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Eureka!

Hēurēka is the 1st person singular perfect indicative active of the Greek verb heuriskein, meaning: I am in a state of having found it. Archimedes first yelled it when he stepped into the bath and finally understood displacement; the state of California co-opted it as its motto, referring to the discovery of gold in them there hills; and I just screamed it in my office when, after weeks of torturous self doubt about whether or not I could really pull these two books off, I figured out the key.

And it all has to do with the picture to the left...anyone recognize it?

11 comments:

Cathy Gersich said...

a pine cone? xray of an artichoke? Wha?

Anonymous said...

A picture of your brain exploding after yelling Eureka? :) CDG

Cathy Gersich said...

a photo of a sound!

Christy Raedeke said...

How did you guess?

Cathy Gersich said...

research.

okay, I looked at the properties of the photo and tracked where you found it. :) I still think it looks like a pine cone tho

Suzanne Young said...

You're blowing my mind with this. I think it's the Golden Artichoke. Did I get it?

Anonymous said...

OK, I can't wait to hear! What does "sound" have to do with your desire and confidence about finishing the books? Did you find a CD that gives you the power to forge ahead?
mom

Christy Raedeke said...

Cymatics! It's all about cymatics!

Okay, yesterday this made a lot of sense, but today I could see how y'all might think I've lost it...

Disco Mermaids said...

Um, yeah, "sound" never crossed my little simple mind. I was thinking more along the lines of Spiderman's web lit up for Halloween with those tiny LCD lights.

But that's just me. Can you photograph a sound? Or did you make that up?

But I am very happy for your Eureka! moment. :)

Eve

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I was up at 3:30 this morning watching a murder mystery where this woman took pictures of eyes dilated by BellaDonna.

It looks like the inside of a BellaDonna-d eyeball.

By the way. Spectacular Photo! Eureka.

M

Katie Anderson said...

Oh me, oh my - I am fascinated! I can't wait to read these metaphysical books!!!!! Best of luck!