Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ashland Event

Yay! I have an Ashland book party date! I'll be at Bloomsbury Books on Wednesday, May 19 at 7:00 in the evening. If you live in the Rogue Valley, please stop by!

This will be a very special event for me, a long-time Ashland girl. Not only do I still have a lot of family and friends in the area, many teachers who were very important to me still live here. Mrs. Bohn taught me to write in the first grade and Mrs. Reynolds encouraged me to enter my first writing contest (which I won!) in third grade. In fourth grade Mrs. Houck got me addicted to summer reading programs at the library, in the fifth grade Mr. Gettling proved that 11 year olds still love to be read to, and in sixth grade Mr. Maulsby instilled a love of vocabulary by doing things like holding a kid upside down by his ankles to illustrate the word inversion. (No one ever forgot that one.) Mrs. Lininger, Mr. Sharp, and Mr. Cicerella were all instrumental in cultivating a deep love of reading and writing in Middle School. And Rooklyn, McBain, and Vondracek were iconic figures in the Ashland High School English department—without a doubt, some of the best teachers I have ever had.

It’s a rare treat to be able to know so many of these teachers in adulthood, and I hope some can make it to the book launch!

7 comments:

Suzanne Young said...

I wish I was closer!!

PJ Hoover said...

I wish I was closer, too!

Jennie Englund said...

Dude! It's going to be PACKED!

I'm camping out on the sidewalk on Tuesday night. I'll have me one of those Ipanama chicken grill things from Pangea.

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

Kimberly Derting said...

I so wish I could make it, I hope you have a blast!!!

Katie Anderson said...

Wow. So fun! I hope they all come :)

Heather Kelly said...

So exciting!! You're going to have a blast!

StaffPicks said...

I'll have my own event for you and your book at the Tattered Cover in Denver! This is so exciting....