Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mmmm, Sugar...

I'm not a big believer in extraterrestrial life, but the fact that glycolaldehyde, a key sugar molecule, was found in a hospitable place in the galaxy has me rethinking the Greys.

Glycolaldehyde helps to build RNA, which is basically the central molecule involved in the origin of life on Earth. It was discovered at the center of the galaxy awhile ago, but now they’ve also found it on the star-forming part of the galaxy where there are potentially habitable planets. Sweet food for thought, no?

3 comments:

Anna Claire said...

My hubby will be thrilled to hear this. We have an ongoing "they exist"/"no they don't" argument about aliens...needless to say, he's the sci-fi fan and convinced they're out there. Me, not so much, although this is certainly more convincing evidence!

Christy Raedeke said...

Damn, I am so busted! I really didn't think anyone would notice if I did a couple of short posts with polysyllabic words... Unfortunately, it didn't get me out of Jr. High.

Graeme Stone said...

To quote Homer Simpson:
Mmm, sugar...