Saturday, August 8, 2009

SCBWI Update!

I’m here! Arrived Thursday night and had drinks with Paul, Graeme, SarahFrances, Katie, Shelli, and Kimberly. Then got up at the crack of dawn to register right when it opened - I was dying to see which editor I have for my manuscript critique. I nearly fainted when I saw it was Wendy Loggia, Editorial Director of Delacorte Press at Random House, one of the biggest editors here. Now I’m terrified that I have to talk to Wendy Loggia at 8 AM...

But onward! Sherman Alexie gave one of the best speeches about writing and books that I’ve ever heard. We laughed, we cried...then we bought very book he’d ever written.

Then I went to Wendy Loggia’s talk – you know, sort of pre-critique stalking. Loved her. She’s very warm and charming and not too scary until you start to remember the massive number if bestsellers she’s edited.

Now for the best part of the day: Lunch with the YA Bloggers Khy, Catt, Alicia and Vania! All of the Tenners here at the conference met them at Pink Taco and as we were gathered around outside they were so into the authors that they did not even look twice when Magic Johnson and his entourage walked right by us into the restaurant. However, Lindsey Leavitt and I nearly peed ourselves.

KHY WITH MONKEY

These young women who review YA books online wield a lot of power, but they are the sweetest people you will ever meet. Khy even made personalized gift bags for everyone! We all nearly cried when we received them, and one author quipped that her husband wasn’t even this thoughtful. My gift bag included Mayan cacao powder, Mayan worry dolls, a castle that grows 600 times its size in water, a corn husk (because I love the smell of corn husks!), an amazingly cute monkey, and a mini book on origami (in my book, the monkey communicates through origami). Khy did this for every author there and we so appreciated how much time and energy she (and her beautiful mother) put in to researching us to put together just the right bags. Thanks again, Khy!

It was a blast to meet Catt, who gave me my first WoW review and also became the first person ever to ask for my autograph! Catt, you are amazing! Thanks to all of you who came to the lunch to talk with us.
CATT & ALICIA

The evening was great fun reconnecting with old friends. Today is a full day of sessions plus a luncheon for the “published authors” here. That’s a table I’ve always wanted to join and I’m pinching myself that the dream is coming true!

10 comments:

Khy said...

Yay! So glad you liked the bag. And I LOVED meeting you too! :D

Deb Markanton said...

Christy, I'm sorry I didn't see you there yesterday! Heather was so nice to give me a wealth of information as well as hang out for the entire day.
I agree...those speeches were wonderful!

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you are having the time of your life! Just think, next year your book will be out and for sale!
We at Andy's party

JESSJORDAN said...

Yay for gift bags! Hopefully I'll see you before the conference is over--have fun tomorrow!

JESSJORDAN said...

p.s. I think I saw you at the Blue Moon Party, but you were too far away to tell ...

Corey Schwartz said...

Wow! Sounds like such a blast!

Anonymous said...

You've arrived Girl. Savor the experience.
diane

Unknown said...

Wow... that is SUCH a flattering picture of me xD

Aww, it was a blast to meet you too, Christy!! I really wished we took a picture together (me and my stupid forgetfulness!). So prepare for some serious paparazzi style picture taking the next time I see you =D

Cuppa Jolie said...

Could that Khy be any cuter (I wonder if she'd hate that I said that...but I think she's adorable)? And the gift bags! I saw Suzanne's, too. So awesome, so thoughtful.

But, Christy, we didn't experience much more than a walk-by hello. I guess it's nice to know we can all still be in touch in the blogosphere!

Suzanne Young said...

It was such a fun lunch! We got stuff!!! :-)